We're hosting a 3 part event to get an idea of what youth in Regent Park think Healthy Communities should look like and we would love to hear from you!
We'll host various activities to learn and understand your ideas, experiences, and opinions. This will be a space where you can collaborate with peers, share your thoughts, share what works and doesn’t work and participate in some design activities.
For more information or if you have any questions, please contact Karen (she/her), at email@example.com.
To sign up for our Let's Talk: Healthy Communities event, click the link below.
1) Let’s Talk: Individual Session- a 30-45 minute call to introduce the project, get to know each other, and dive a bit deeper with your personal experiences, stories and thoughts on community.
2) an About Me page (a template and sample will be provided for you to fill out)
3) a 1.5 hour workshop with 2-3 other youth where you can freely connect, discuss, and collaborate with your peers, to share opinions, ideas, and experiences about certain topics.
Participants will receive a $35 food gift card for completing all three parts of the event. You will also have an opportunity to receive a $5 bonus on that same gift card by participating in our Let’s Talk Instagram Question. All gift cards will be sent out by October 31.
The event is open to all youth, age 16-24 in the Regent Park Neighbourhood. Registration is limited to 12 youth participants. If you live outside Regent Park, you can still sign up in case spots are available, however our event is primarily focusing on the Regent Park community at the moment.
We are hosting this workshop as a way to create a space where a small group of youth can connect, brainstorm ideas, share experiences, and participate in activities that will help to inform the development of community programs within Regent Park and within the greater Toronto community.
We hope that this event can help create a safe and comfortable space for collaborative, supportive discussions around topics that affect youth in the Regent Park community and inform how YRA, and others, can best support them.
A total of 2-3 hours. Participants are asked to attend a Let’s Talk: Individual Session- a 30-45 minute zoom call, fill out an About Me page (a template and sample will be provided) that can take 15-20 minutes or longer if you’d like, and our Let’s Talk: Group Session - a 1.5 hour event and feedback form.
Sign up via Google Form. Due to small group sizes required for in-depth discussions, this event only has 12 spots. As a result of this, unfortunately, we can not guarantee a spot to everyone who signs up. Participants will be selected based on a number of considerations to ensure the group consists of youth from various experiences and backgrounds. Only those selected will be contacted. Sign ups will be open until October 20th.
Regardless of conversation and commitment, we prioritize providing a safe and comfortable space to share your personal experience and at any time you feel discomfort you can step away from the meeting and we can discuss alternative ways of participating if you’d like to continue. We will have a decompress Zoom room and our coordinator, Karen will be available if you need to reach out during the session. If you have any concerns, please do not hesitate to speak to Karen (firstname.lastname@example.org) in advance to talk about ways we can accommodate.
As part of the team of youth that shared their opinions we will include your name on the final report and share the events results to you as well. If you’d prefer, we can also omit your name on the project. If there are any other concerns around your shared stories or experiences that you would not like to be shared outside of the sessions we will respect your wishes and keep your identity and information confidential.
Building healthy communities is a team effort and you are part of our team. Everyone involved will share ideas, opinions and stories that will collectively inform and positively impact future YRA events and foster a community that you all have inspired and created. We may share the results with the larger Toronto community and on social media for other organizations to take what was shared at the event into consideration.
We hope you feel energized and inspired to continue the conversation outside of the event as well. This is a conversation that keeps going with added items and changing ideas and needs; keep the conversation going by talking to your peers about what kind of communities we all need.
1. After signing through our Google Form, we will review your registration and participants will be selected based on a number of considerations to ensure the group consists of youth from various experiences and backgrounds.
2. If you are selected, we will email you directly with both the About Me template and a link to sign up for your Let’s Talk: Individual Session, between October 1 - October 21. We encourage you to select the earliest day/time that works for you to confirm one of the few spots in the Group Session.
3. After completing both the Individual Session & About Me page, you will receive an email regarding the time slot for the group session on either October 23 or October 24, 2021.
4. We will send you an email leading up to the event with the Zoom link for the Group Session. If you have any questions, feel free to email Karen (she/her) at email@example.com.
5. During our Let’s Talk: Group Session, we will have open discussion to explore the topic of community in depth. You will be encouraged to share, collaborate and respectfully explore different opinions within the group through discussion, activities, and reflections.
6. After our session, you will have the opportunity to receive a BONUS $5 on to your gift card when you tag one friend and answer our Let’s Talk Instagram Question.
7. After our event, your collective ideas and experiences will be shared within Youth Rising Above and other community agencies to inspire change and create meaningful community programs for youth in Regent Park and Toronto.
Copyright © 2021 Youth Rising Above - All Rights Reserved.
Charitable Registration Number: 72653 2914 RR0001
Donate to our Backpack Drive in support of 150 grade 7-12 students at Fort William First Nation. Either donate physical items or $50 to purchase one school bag full of supplies, charitable receipts provided for 100% of any monetary donation.